Words for better understanding Worship – культ, почитание Aisle [ail] – крыло здания Gospel - евангелие, проповедь Monk - монах Congregation – прихожане Parish church – церковный приход Relic – мощи Chantry priest – священник Posterity – потомство Circa – приблизительно Was martyred – был замучен Larynx bone – гортань A holy person – святой Reliquary – гробница Pulpit – кафедра проповедника Church fete – празднество Diversity – разнообразие Mason(s) – масон Minster – монастырь Turbulent – бурный Warfare – война
The church of All Saints The church of St. Mary The church of St. Laurence St. Oswald’s priory Deerhurst a village with two Saxon churches St. David’s Cathedral The most beautiful Norman cathedral in England
The church of All Saints All Saints' Church, Brixworth, Northamptonshire is "perhaps the most imposing architectural monument of the 7th century yet surviving north of the Alps" Sir Alfred Clapham
The date of the construction of All Saints' Church, Brixworth is unclear; however, it is without question one of the most outstanding churches of its period in England. It has been in continuous use as a centre of Christian worship from its building to the present day. It is also the largest structure to survive from those early years although it is thought that a Viking attack destroyed the side aisles in AD 870.
The church of St. Mary
Ramsey Abbey was founded by King Edward the Elder in 907 for his daughter. He had recently completed the building of the New Minster in Winchester. Little is known of this first Abbey, though it may have received a grant of land in Kingsclere from King Edmund the Magnificent in 943. The Abbey Church was saved for future generations when it was bought, for £100, by the parishioners of Ramsey for use as their Parish Church in February 1544.
The church of St. Laurence
There is much debate about the date of construction of the Chapel of St. Laurence at Bradford-on-Avon. Based on the written evidence, the building should be dated to the early eighth century but stylistically, it reflects a date in the late tenth or more likely, the early eleventh century. Others have tried to reconcile these two theories by explaining that the church was rebuilt on the foundations of Aldhelm's original church in the tenth or eleventh century, thus incorporating both the written evidence and the stylistic evidence.
St. Oswald’s priory The 'Missing-Link' of Saxon Architecture
The Priory Church, initially dedicated to St. Peter, was constructed from re-used Roman stones stripped from the ruins of Glevum. Though, it was a monastery of the traditional type housing secular canons, St. Oswald's is of especial interest to architectural historians. There were very few churches built during the late eighth century.The site itself began life as a Christian cemetery filled with finely carved memorial crosses. The first church, erected in the 890s, was a rectangular nave with two small chapels projecting to the north and south.
Deerhurst a village with two Saxon churches
Deerhurst is a tiny little village, remarkable in that within it stand, not one, but two Saxon places of worship. Little is known of the history of the place. Architecturally, it appears to have been established in the late seventh century, but there are no records of its existence before 804. It started as a rectangular building with a western porch in the late seventh century. A circular apse and side chapels were added early the following century. The building is a simple two-cell structure with characteristic Saxon long and short quoins. It is very plain inside, but retains its original chancel arch and a number of Saxon windows.
St. David’s Cathedral
Built upon the site of St David's 6th century monastery St David's Cathedral has been a site of pilgrimage and worship for many hundreds of years and remains a church serving a living community. The great nave is an impressive survival of heavy Norman architecture whose erection was begun in 1089. The columns are massive and one of those in the south aisle has a definite lean to it! Enter the presbytery to marvel at the jewel of Gloucester Cathedral: the great East Window This vast masterpiece of the glazier's craft, erected around 1350.
The most beautiful Norman cathedral in England The Cathedral Church in Peterborough is dedicated to St Peter, St Paul and St Andrew. A monastic church was founded here by King Peada in 655 AD, destroyed by the Danes in 870, rebuilt as part of a Benedictine Abbey and re-consecrated in 972, burned down in an accidental fire in 1116 and re-built in its present form between 1118 and 1238.