Perm is the most easterly city in Europe situated on the border of Europe and Asia. It is the administrative centre of the Perm region. *
Perm occupies 799.68 sq.km. It is the third largest Russian city after Moscow and Saint-Petersburg. *
Perm is a major rail junction connecting Siberia and the Far East with the European part of the country. *
Perm is located on the Kama river, the fifth largest river in Europe after the Volga, the Danube, the Ural and the Dnieper. *
Recognizable Perm There are over a dozen of phrases with the word Perm. These phrases reflect originality, viability and creativity of the Perm region and its people. Permian Period There is a Permian age in the history of the Earth. About three hundred million years ago, most of the region was covered by sea, which left huge deposits of limestone. The limestone was subsequently transformed by the action of water into a typical karst formation characterized by the abundance of caves, grottos, and deep lakes. *
* Perm Animal Style The cast metal objects known as the Perm animal style date from the early Iron Age to the Middle Ages. Some were used by the ancient Ural peoples to decorate their clothing, or as protective amulets, or in religious rituals.
* The most popular subjects were bears, horses, elk, birds, fish and chimera.
* Perm Gods Perm Wooden Religious Sculpture collection spans the period of the late 17th - early 20th century. The collection is unique because of its integrity - all items were brought here from different churches of the Perm region.
* The collection numbers about 600 items.
* Perm Culture Perm opera and ballet theatre Perm opera and ballet theatre is the oldest theatre of the city and one of the oldest theatres in Russia. It is a symbol of Perm Krai. It became world famous after having created its own ballet school.
* Perm drama «Theatre-theatre» The Perm Drama Theatre was founded in 1927. It has a large and a small auditorium. The repertoire includes not only works by Russian authors but also major works by foreign playwright.
* The famous theatre figure Serguei Diaghilev spent his childhood and adolescence in Perm. He spread the fame of Russian art in Europe, organized exhibitions for artists. Diaghilev's Russian Seasons (Les Ballets Russes) in Paris in the beginning of the 20th century fixed the names of our ballet dancers in the history of the world culture. Serguei Diaghilev
* Science Perm has a well trained and skilled young population due to availability of many institutions of higher education.
* Besides, in Perm there are more than 30 research institutes such as the Institute of Ecology and Genetics of Microorganisms, the Heart Institute.
* Perm Centre of the Ural Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences supervises the research activity in the Perm Region.
* Our town is beautiful and interesting. I love my city very much.